I made a large pot of beans the other night to eat with rice-cuz we’re trying to be all frugal-like…good ol beans and rice. It was good as always but by about the third day of beans and rice for lunch I’m ready for something new. So last night for dinner I whipped up some bean and rice cakes. Ate them with roasted broccoli and carrot soufflé. Fanshy smanshy. Not really. I just needed to add some color to the drab looking bean cake-ya know?
I don’t really have recipes for these, per say…just kinda throw whatever you have in…
Beans and Rice Cakes
- Use about equal portions of rice and beans…maybe more beans if your rice is dry, mine is rather sticky so it was fine.
- 1-2 eggs (depending on amount of beans and rice)
- A couple handfuls of breadcrumbs, cracker crumbs, goldfish, whatever you have!
- Any additional seasonings you want (I didn’t add anything because beans were seasoned well)
Mix up all these ingredients and form into patties. I sprinkled some flour on both sides to help it from sticking to the plate. Melt a few tablespoons of coconut oil in a skillet (cast iron if you have it!) and fry on each side until brown and crispy. I served with sour cream on top.
- A couple of cups of leftover beans
- Sour cream
- Etc etc etc…whatever you like!
Drain the liquid off the beans as best as you can. Whiz the beans in the food processor (or vitamix is what I used) until creamy with a few small chunks. Spread the beans out on a plate or in pie dish. Spread sour cream on top of that, then salsa, then top with cheese and as many toppings as you wish! Olives, avocado, etc. This is so simple, but I never would have thought to do this from leftover bean soup! I did find this idea with a quick google search, but I wanted to share with you my ah ha! moment! We ate with some blue corn chips!
This is not the lovelies of pictures…beans are hard to make beautiful. I was also lacking in toppings…so we did the basic sour cream, salsa and cheese. It was good!