I know we have been focusing on coffee a lot around here on the blog. Life seems to have revolved around coffee for the main of this summer. I barely got a chance to tell you all about my exciting garden adventures this year. Maybe I’ll tell you about that next. I figured you were due for a recipe. Of course it will involve sweet potatoes. Did I mention that we harvested over 200lbs of them babies out the of garden this year? Man it’s been a while, I don’t even remember my last few posts. Regardless. Here’s a simple, yummy fall recipe perfect in time for eating festivities that are going to be taking place THIS VERY WEEK. Can you tell I get a little excited about eating? Someday…someday…I may convince my mom to let me post her family secret stuffing recipe. Ya’ll will go nutso crazy over that. Just ask my husband. He came into the family hating stuffing. He’s a believer now. Weren’t we talking about cornbread though?
Cornbread really has a special place in my heart. Over the years I gradually evolved my cornbread palate away from Jiffy mix. Yes, I really did eat Jiffy mix at one point in my life. I would eat a whole box of muffins by MYSELF. I was pregnant. Nevertheless, there’s something about cornbread that makes me happy. However, I have yet to actually “settle” on the perfect recipe. I can’t tell you how many recipes I’ve actually tried. Probably like 100. I rule out any that call for 3 cups of sugar or a can of creamed corn. I just don’t have that stuff sittin around if you know what I mean. No judgement here if you do! Bet you actually have a dy-namic tasting cornbread. My ideal recipe calls for a lot of butter, a pinch of sugar, and heavy on the cornmeal. I stumbled upon a sweet potato cornbread recipe that actually tickled my tail feathers. I actually made the recipe more than once…so that speaks VOLUMES. Of course I have since tweaked it to my liking and thus present you with my final product. Please do not make this if you don’t plan to slather it with more butter and honey. Mk?
Sweet Potato Cornbread
- 1.5 cups mashed sweet potatoes (boiled or baked doesn’t matter-I boil to save time!)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 1/4 cup thin yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 1/2 cup non-GMO cornmeal (we fresh grind it, so it’s more of the stoneground variety)
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or sucanat
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray or butter a 9×13 pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix sweet potatoes, eggs, oils, yogurt and lemon. In another bowl mix together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the sweet potato mixture and gently mix just until all flour is combined. Pour into pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes until top is brown and toothpick comes out clean!
- Serve with butter and lots of honey!
What is YOUR favorite thing to eat on Thanksgiving?
We hope you have a very blessed Thanksgiving. We have so much to be thankful for!